Greg and I meet for the Five Heart Podcast this week as Todd is a wiener.
- Greg’s visit to the World War I museum in Kansas City
- How Nebraska and Oklahoma are alike in that without football what would either state be known for?
- Oklahoma’s history and Bud Wilkinson
- A review of the Buffalo game
- Preview of Oklahoma - mostly, how will Nebraska’s defense play against the Sooners?
Jon has a book out!
On August 21st, 2015, Jon unexpectedly dropped dead of a widowmaker heart attack. He was shocked five times on the way to the hospital with no response. He was shocked two more times in the ER. He was dead for over 20 minutes. A stent was placed, and he was induced into a coma. In January 2016 Jon received a second stent and in June he was diagnosed with an anoxic brain injury.
He wrote a book about death and recovery. The title, “Been Dead, Never Been To Europe” reflects the ironic nature of life, what happens versus what we want to happen. It’s available at Amazon in Kindle and Paperback.
Consider signing up for Jon’s Postlife Crisis newsletter, which is about Jon and interests beyond Cornhuskers sports. (I know, right?)
I’m On Medium
I recently started writing at Medium. Two reasons for this:
- I want to write about other stuff than sports. I am currently working on a book on how to overcome anxiety, depression and anger targeted at heart attack survivors. A huge percentage of them worry about having another heart attack.
- Medium pays for writing. I don’t know if it’s much, but at least I can put stuff out there that will get seen by some, reviewed, and possibly commented on, so I can be a better writer.
- If you want to join Medium, use this link so I get credit. Thank you.
For example, this piece:
Neurofatigue — How Mental Energy Is Like Water Conservation | by Jon Johnston | ILLUMINATION | Sep, 2021 | Medium
There was a time in my life when simple tasks weren’t a problem. They were simple, hence the meaning of the word. Calculating a 20% tip at a restaurant wasn’t rocket science. It was easy. I quickly…