Nebraska guard Sam Haiby was named the co-freshman of the week and junior point guard Hannah Whitish was listed in the honor roll (basically players who were considered, but not selected, for the player of the week honor) by the Big Ten.
Co-Freshman of the Week
Haiby joins teammate and fellow freshman Leigha Brown in receiving this honor during the 2018-19 season. Haiby has led the Huskers in scoring most of the season, doing so while coming off the bench, until being surpassed recently by a resurgent Hannah Whitish.
Sam Haiby, Nebraska
G – Moorhead, Minn. – Moorhead – Major: Undeclared
- Averaged 15.0 points and 2.5 rebounds per game with a .667 field goal percentage last week as the Huskers split two Big Ten games
- Scored 13 points (5-7 FG, career-high 3-4 3FG) in 17 minutes of Nebraska’s win at Purdue on Jan. 31
- Contributed a team-high 17 points (5-8 FG) in Sunday’s loss to Indiana
- Receives her first Freshman of the Week award
- Last Nebraska Freshman of the Week: Leigha Brown (Jan. 7, 2019)
Big Ten Women’s Basketball Weekly Honor Roll
The Big Ten women’s basketball player of the week was Iowa’s Megan Gustafson. Gustafson has won this award every week this season sans two. Joining Whitish on the honor roll were Kaila Charles of Maryland and Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah of Northwestern.
Kaila Charles, Jr., G, MD: Scored 22 points on 8-of-10 shooting and added six rebounds and four assists for the No. 11/10 Terrapins in their Jan. 31 win at Wisconsin
Hannah Whitish, Jr., G, NEB: Averaged 22.0 points, 7.0 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game with a .583 field goal percentage and a double-double for the Huskers last week, including 28 points/12 assists a Jan. 31 win at Purdue
Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah, Sr., F, NU: Registered 15.5 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.5 steals per game with two double-doubles last week, pacing the Wildcats to a win and a loss in conference play