Welcome to Thomas County! Continuing our naming trends, Thomas County was named after Union General George H. Thomas. Founded in 1887, the largest town and the county seat is Thedford, Nebraska. Thomas county is home to the Bessey Nursery, which was named after a guy Charles E. Bessey. He believed the area to have, at one time, had a massive natural forest on the land. He thought he could recreate the forest artificially so there could be timber to use within the Midwestern plains. Years later, the forest has grown to over 20,000 acres, supplies 2.5 to 3 million seedlings per year, and is the largest human made forest in the world. That’s a better comeback story than any of the Rocky movies combined.
Read more about the forest history here.
Other Husker 89 stuff:
- Broderick Thomas (All-America and All-Big 8 DE 1987-88, honorable mention All-America and All-Big 8 DE 1986)
- Junior Miller (All-America and All-Big 8 TE 1979)
- Chuck “Skeeter” Malito (honorable mention All-Big 8 SE 1976)Mitch Krenk (TE 1982)
- Current Husker wearing 89 is......nobody......
- Nebraska went 10-2 in 1989 under Tom Osborne losing to fourth ranked Colorado 21-27 and sixth ranked Florida state 17-41.
What other things did I miss?