Nebraska Cornhuskers (14-6, 5-2) vs. Purdue Boilermakers (13-7, 4-2)
Wednesday, Jan. 24, 7 p.m. (CT) at Pinnacle Bank Arena (Lincoln, Nebraska)
We will have a joint men’s/women’s basketball game thread this evening.
• Nebraska, which is a perfect 7-0 in true road games this season including 4-0 in the Big Ten, is coming off a 52-42 win at No. 25 Rutgers on Sunday.
• Purdue (No. 47) will be Nebraska’s fourth straight top-50 RPI opponent and sixth in the Huskers’ first eight Big Ten games. Both Nebraska and Purdue received votes in this week’s Associated Press Top 25.
Scouting The Purdue Boilermakers
• The always tough and hard-nosed Boilermakers are holding opponents to just 59.9 points per game, including an impressive 54.7 points per Big Ten contest.
• Purdue has featured a plus-1.2 turnover margin but a minus-2.3 rebounding margin in conference play, while scoring just 57.8 points per league game.
Nebraska vs. Purdue Series History
• Purdue leads the all-time series with Nebraska, 7-3. All games have been played since Nebraska joined the Big Ten Conference in 2011-12.
• The series has featured some of the most thrilling games in school history, in which the first three games went to single, double, and triple overtime. Purdue prevailed in 2 of those contests. All three of the following games were decided in regulation with two of those being decided by two points or less.
• Kate Cain has climbed to third on Nebraska’s season block list with 71. Cain needs six blocks to match Catheryn Redmon (77, 2010-11) in second on that list. The Nebraska school record is 78 by Olympic bronze medalist Danielle Page (78, 2007-08). Cain has at least one blocked shot in all 20 games this season.
• Cain’s 71 blocks rank No. 3 in the nation while her 3.6 blocks per game rank fifth in the country through games Jan. 21. No Nebraska individual has ever averaged 2.0 blocks per game in a career, and only two Huskers (Danielle Page, 2.4 bpg, 2007-08; Catheryn Redmon, 2.5 bpg, 2010-11) have ever averaged 2.0 blocks per game in a single season.
Huskers heat up for 52-42 victory over No. 25 Rutgers | Sports | dailynebraskan.com
The Huskers women’s basketball team defeated the No. 25 Rutgers Scarlet Knights 52-42 in Piscataway, New Jersey, on Sunday. The win brings Nebraska’s record to 14-6 (5-2) this season. Sunday’s
Connie Yori rejoins Creighton women's basketball program | Women's Basketball | omaha.com
Connie Yori has rejoined the Creighton women's basketball program. She will serve as the Bluejays' program advisor for women's basketball.
Men’s Hoops Hosts the Huskers Wednesday Evening - The Official Site of Rutgers Athletics
Rutgers is eighth nationally in rebounding (40.86), 9th in scoring defense (62.1), 13th in both offensive rebounding (13.67) and FG% defense (38.9) and 14th in turnover margin (4.1). The Scarlet Knights are among the top three in 12 Big Ten stat categories.
Undefeated Wolverines Headed Back on the Road to Take on Huskers | Women’s Gymnastics
The No. 8 University of Michigan women's gymnastics team will be tested on the road for the second time this season as the Wolverines head to Lincoln, Nebraska, for a Big Ten Conference battle with No. 12 Nebraska on Saturday afternoon (Jan. 27) at 2 p.m. CST.
Nebraska's Week Of Perfection - Nebraska Huskers
Seven different Husker athletic programs combine to win every game, dual, competition last week.
Husker notes: Seventh Floridian commits to Scott Frost’s first class; former coach gets new gig | Sandhills Express
Former Nebraska assistant coach Scott Booker is headed back to the MAC.
#UNL's Speech & Debate team wins their 7th Straight Big Ten Tournament Title! Congratulations Director Dr. Aaron Duncan, coaches, and team members! #GoBigRed @UNLSpeechDebate pic.twitter.com/Pf40P0ls19— CommunicationAtUNL (@COMMatUNL) January 23, 2018
Elsewhere In Sports
Why regular coffee intake could worsen sports performance
Many athletes turn to caffeine as a way of boosting their performance, but a new study suggests that regular caffeine intake may have the opposite effect.
Winter Olympics: Unified Korean teams provokes backlash in South Korea
South Korean President Moon's agreement with the North to show unity at the Winter Olympic Games next month is proving unpopular.
Dear Gus | By Pip Kenworthy
When your father and I divorced, you were always there for me. When I was crying, you would comfort me. You had a quality the other boys didn’t have. That’s why I think I pretty much knew.
LeBron James of Cleveland Cavaliers joins 30,000-point club
Cavs superstar LeBron James became the seventh member -- and the youngest -- to join the NBA's 30,000-point club.
LeBron James becomes 7th player in NBA history to score 30,000 points - SBNation.com He could become the best scorer ever one day.
How each Super Bowl 2018 starter was rated as a high school recruit - SBNation.com
Some were stars; others weren’t even recruited to play football.
The pitch clock will bring more chaos to MLB than expected, and I’m here for it - SBNation.com
Baseball players are creatures of routine. When that routine is disrupted, the potential for chaos exists.
State unveils license plate for team that left 20 years ago - ABC News
State unveils license plate for team that left 20 years ago
Then There’s This
Eagles v. Hotel California: After Lawsuit, Band Reaches A Settlement : The Two-Way : NPR
The rock band sued a hotel in Mexico that has the same name as the "lovely place" in their iconic 1976 song. That hotel was trying to trademark the phrase "Hotel California" in the U.S.