It’s that time again. It’s time to recognize the most ignominious performances of the weekend in college football. This week gave us more nomination candidates that we needed. Here’s some of the performances that didn’t make the final nomination cut.
Honorable Mention #1: The Clemson band trolling THE Ohio State at halftime. Personally, I think this was awesome, but it was mentioned for a cob, so here it is.
Clemson's band trolling Ohio State in its halftime show... pic.twitter.com/obTPrLz6jD— #DaHale (@DavidHaleESPN) September 2, 2017
Honorable Mention #2: Mizzou beat FCS Missouri State 72-43. At one point in the 2nd Quarter it was 41-35.
Update. Missouri 41, Missouri State 35. Still second quarter. The FCS squad with 436 total yards.— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) September 2, 2017
Those two didn’t make the finals. Here’s your final nominations.
- Texas for losing at home to freakin’ Maryland. It’s hard to find a video that captures this because the entire game was a disaster for Texas.
2. Texas A&M for blowing a 34-point lead late in the 3rd Quarter. A&M channeled their inner Atlanta Falcons enroute to an epic meltdown and one of the biggest comebacks in football history.
3. Baylor for losing the Battle of the Baptists. FCS Liberty knocked off Baylor 48-45 in Waco enroute to their first Power 5 win. Liberty cancelled Monday classes, as SI reports, and the students went wild after the game. I’m not sure what ‘going wild’ constitutes at the university Jerry Falwell founded, and I’m not sure I want to know. Turner Gill’s signature win at the school should make some of you smile, for sure.
4. If you’re having a difficult time deciding so far, I’ll just go ahead and nominate the entire State of Texas in a rare ALL OF THE ABOVE.
5. Finally, UNLV for the worst loss against-the-spread in college football of all time. Yes, folks, we have a GOAT nomination. Howard University, led by Cam Newton’s younger brother, ignored the 40 point spread and beat UNLV. In case you’re wondering, a $100 bet on Howard to win would have paid more than $50,000. A high school HC plus several former Nebraska staffers aren’t looking good after this one.
Who gets the Week 1 Cob?
This poll is closed
Texas for losing to the turtles
Baylor for losing to the FCS Fightin’ Falwells
Texas A&M for blowing a 34-point lead
The entire State of Texas (all of the above)
UNLV for getting trucked by Howard