Since class has started at the University of Nebraska, the Cornhusker football team has now moved practices to the evening time. Normally, we’d begin with the defensive side of the ball on Tuesday and the offense on Thursday. However, considering that the team is in a two-week install mode for their first opponent in Arkansas State, Mike Riley was the one at the microphones after the workout.
I was hoping that some news on something like Blackshirts, a depth chart or even redshirts would come out today. Nope.
No news on scholarships, redshirts or Blackshirts today. #Huskers— Christopher Heady (@heady_chris) August 22, 2017
Very little coming out of practice today, according to the practice reports. Even though Riley spoke afterward (which you can watch here), not a whole lot was said.
- Mick Stoltenberg has returned from being held out and practiced the past couple of days. Jaylin Bradley was held out the past couple days with an ankle issue.
- It sounds like some walk-on’s got scholarships, but Riley was not willing to put names out there quite yet.
- De’Mornay Pierson-El will be your starting punt returner, per Riley. It’s his position to lose, and with what results he’s given Nebraska when fully healthy, he should get the first crack at it. Tyjon Lindsey and Stanley Morgan Jr. was named as guys who can do the job, but it’s DPE to start.
- Riley stated that captains would probably be named sometime this weekend. When asked if it was a coaching staff decision or a player vote, Riley simply stated “Yes”.
- It sounds like Riley is holding off a depth chart until the beginning of next week when the AD releases their game notes for the week.