Hey folks, I know you are all deep into Husker football right now but basketball is right around the corner. Here is the Nebrasketball schedule rundown to get you in the mood for the upcoming season.
Mon, Nov 07 Chadron State Pinnacle Bank Arena 7:00 p.m. BTN Plus ▪ HSN
- Chadron State will be a nice little exhibition to start the year out. The Eagles had a rough season last year finishing 7-19. Let’s just say that it will most likely be a rough season for the Huskers if they don’t pull off a win here.
Sun, Nov 13 Sacramento State Pinnacle Bank Arena 7:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- First game to start of the season. The Hornets were 14-17 last year and ended up third from last in the Big Sky conference.
Tue, Nov 15 University of Mary Pinnacle Bank Arena 7:00 p.m. BTN Plus ▪ HSN
- Nebraska goes a little farther north this year and pulls out from saint The Marauders did fairly well last season going 19-12 and ended up third in the NSIC.
Sat, Nov 19 Louisiana Tech Pinnacle Bank Arena TBA ESPN3 ▪ HSN
- The Bulldogs had a fairly good run last year under first year head coach Eric Konkol. They finished 23-10 and fourth in Conference USA.
DIRECTV Wooden Legacy
Thu, Nov 24 Dayton Fullerton, Calif. (Titan Gym) 7:30 p.m. ESPNU ▪ HSN
- Nebraska starts out the Wooden Legacy Tournament against the darlings of the Atlantic 10. Dayton went 25-8 and won the regular season conference title. They received an at large bid in the NCAA Tournament where they were defeated by Syracuse in the first game.
Fri, Nov 25 UCLA/Portland Fullerton, Calif. (Titan Gym) TBA ESPN2 or ESPN3 ▪ HSN
- This game will either be played against UCLA who finished 15-17 last season or Portland who ended up at 12-20.
Sun, Nov 27 TBA Anaheim, Calif. (Honda Center) TBA ESPN or ESPNU ▪ HSN
- TBA has always been tough to scout for. I will have to update you when the time comes.
ACC/Big Ten Challenge
Wed, Nov 30 Clemson at Clemson, S.C. 8:00 p.m. ESPN ▪ HSN
- Nebraska will draw Clemson this year for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The Tigers finished in the middle of the ACC last year with a 17-14 record with big wins against the likes of Louisville, Duke, and Miami. They should be a fairly formidable foe this year for the Big Red.
Sat, Dec 03 South Dakota Pinnacle Bank Arena 1:00 p.m. BTN Plus ▪ HSN
- All is not well in Coyote country. South Dakota went 14-18 and finished second to last in the Summit League. I would not expect much better this year.
Wed, Dec 07 Creighton Pinnacle Bank Arena 8:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- Creighton, they’ve owned us for the last few years. Will it be Nebraska to take the win this year? They went 20-15 and finished in sixth place in a fairly strong Big East last year.
Sat, Dec 10 Kansas at Lawrence, Kan. 2:15 p.m. ESPN ▪ HSN
- This is a game that should get some national attention. The Huskers head down to Lawrence to take on their old conference mates. KU was 33-5 and won both the Big 12 regular season and tournament titles. They were eventually beat by NCAA Champion Villanova in the Elite Eight.
Sun, Dec 18 Gardner-Webb Pinnacle Bank Arena 1:00 p.m. ESPNU ▪ HSN
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs were 17-16 last year and made it to the Big South Semifinal where they lost to Winthrop.
Tue, Dec 20 Southern Pinnacle Bank Arena 7:00 p.m. BTN Plus ▪ HSN
- Southern finished the year at a very respectable 22-13 and won the SWAC Tournament. They were eventually beat by Holy Cross in the First Four of the NCAA Tournament.
Wed, Dec 28 Indiana at Bloomington, Ind. 6:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- Conference Starts! Tom Crean took Indiana to a new level last year and ended up 27-8 and won the regular season Big Ten title. They were eventually beat by North Carolina in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA Tournament. Yogi Ferrell and Troy Williams are gone but they return a talented underclassmen group that can keep them in the title hunt.
Sun, Jan 01 Maryland at College Park, Md. TBA BTN ▪ HSN
- Maryland ended last season at 27-9 and was another Big Ten team to make it to the Sweet Sixteen before being beat by Kansas. They lose four of their starters but return the likes of Robert Carter and Jaylen Brantley who should keep them as a major force in the conference.
Thu, Jan 05 Iowa Pinnacle Bank Arena 8:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- The Hawkeyes had a fairly decent season last year even though they hit a losing spell close to the end. The finished third in the conference and lost to eventual champion Villanova in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. This was a huge senior driven team and it will be interesting to see if they have enough talent waiting to keep them in the top half of the conference.
Sun, Jan 08 Northwestern Pinnacle Bank Arena TBA BTN▪ HSN
- Northwestern had a heck of a run until conference hit last year, going 13-1. Though they did happen to beat the Husker in both meetings. They bring back a lot of experience so we will see if that translates to anything on the court.
Sat, Jan 14 Michigan at Ann Arbor, Mich. 1:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- The Wolverines were a talented team last year that were hit or miss on wins. They ended up 23-13 and received a bid for the NCAA Tournament where they were eventually beat by Notre Dame in the first round. Injuries plagued the team and were never really at full strength. Recruiting has helped them the last couple of seasons and should pay off in ’16-’17.
Wed, Jan 18 Ohio State Pinnacle Bank Arena 8:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- Ohio State has a lot of talent coming into this season that never materialized last year, going 21-14. If guys like Mark Loving and JaQuan Lyle step up, they could be a major factor in the conference race.
Sat, Jan 21 Rutgers at Piscataway, N.J. 11:00 a.m. ESPNU ▪ HSN
- Rutgers is bad, really bad. Going 7-25 and losing to everyone in the conference but Minnesota. They have a new head coach in Steve Pikiell so hopefully that can bring something to their game.
Thu, Jan 26 Northwestern at Evanston, Ill. 7:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- Hey, we play them again!
Sun, Jan 29 Purdue Pinnacle Bank Arena 3:30 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- The big men at Purdue wnet 21-13 last year and made the NCAA tournament where they were beat by Little Rock in the first round. Yep, Little Rock is a school. They lose Rapheal Davis and Johnny Hill but return a fairly deep roster which could make them a problem for teams as the year goes on.
Thu, Feb 02 Michigan State Pinnacle Bank Arena 6:00 p.m. ESPN or ESPN2 ▪ HSN
- Michigan State ended the year 29-6, won the Big Ten Tournament, and were beat by Middle Tennessee in the first round. Yeah, it was a little bit of a tough way to end a good year for Sparty. However, they bring back an even more talented roster and are a preseason pick to win the conference again this year.
Sun, Feb 05 Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa 1:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- Hey, we play them again! Only this time in Iowa.
Thu, Feb 09 Wisconsin Pinnacle Bank Arena 8:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- Wisconsin went 22-13 and ended up in the Sweet Sixteen last season. That’s not bad considering Bo Ryan retired 12 games into the season. Assistant Greg Gard came in and really did a great job transitioning the team forward. They ended up in the NCAA Tournament losing to Notre Dame. They return a lot of the talent from last year so expect to see them compete for the top spot in the conference.
Tue, Feb 14 Penn State Pinnacle Bank Arena 8:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- The Nittany Lions were 16-16 and finished just one spot north of Nebraska in the conference. However, they have been recruiting well the last few seasons and this might be the year it pays off in Happy Valley.
Sat, Feb 18 - Sun, Feb 19 Ohio State at Columbus, Ohio TBA CBS or BTN ▪ HSN
- Hey, we play them again. Only this time in Columbus and it might be on either Saturday or Sunday.
Thu, Feb 23 Michigan State at East Lansing, Mich. 6:00 p.m. ESPNU ▪ HSN
- Hey, we play them again. Only this time in East Lansing.
Sun, Feb 26 Illinois Pinnacle Bank Arena 6:30 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- 15-19 is not a record you want to produce when you’re Illinois. They should be a healthier and more talented team this season but only time will tell. They have the potential to be competitive but the team needs to step up to make that happen.
Thu, Mar 02 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. 6:00 p.m. ESPNU ▪ HSN
- Last year was bad for the Golden Gophers. As in 8-23 and one step above Rutgers bad. Rutgers, even beat them once. Hopefully they improve enough to get out of the cellar this year. If not, Rick Pitino’s days in Minneapolis might be numbered.
Sun, Mar 05 Michigan Pinnacle Bank Arena 7:00 p.m. BTN ▪ HSN
- Hey, we play them again. Only this time in Lincoln
Wed, Mar 08 - Sun, Mar 12 Big Ten Tournament Verizon Center (Washington, D.C.) TBA