Some quick news and notes from the final Nebraska football practice on Thursday before taking on the Tennessee Volunteers in the Music City Bowl next week on Friday afternoon:
- Tommy Armstong (hamstring) has still not practiced, so the team will work with Ryker Fyfe as the starter at quarterback. With Tommy “doubtful” due to his injury, Zach Darlington will be Fyfe’s backup.
- Terrell Newby is expected to play after recovering from a hip injury. Tre Bryant (hamstring) may be doubtful for the bowl game. Riley is hoping Bryant can do more by the time the team practices in Nashville. Alonzo Moore is “on a roller-coaster” following an ankle injury, and may not play.
- Nate Gerry and Boaz Joseph will be both ineligible for the bowl game. Riley stressed that this is due to a university issue, not a violation of “team rules”. Riley stated that he was disappointed about the Gerry news, but he is excited for the younger group of safeties like Antonio Reed to take the field.
- Riley stated that Tennessee QB Josh Dobbs is a very versatile QB, and he will force the Nebraska Defense to make substitutions frequently.
- Riley stated today’s practice involved the starting 1s vs 1s going at it, with the units working on red zone and 2-minute drill items.
Update: Gerry posted this on twitter just a few moments ago: