Week one is in the books, so let's take a look around and see how Nebraska's schedule fared.
Results from Week 1:
All rankings based on F/+ Rankings released today, September 7th 2015. (Prior week rankings.)
|Week 1||Opponent||Conference||F/+||Matchup||Conference||F/+||Score (Opp)||Score (Match)||Outcome|
|1||Brigham Young Cougars||Independent||40||Nebraska Cornhuskers||Big Ten||30||33||28||W|
|2||South Alabama Jaguars||Sun Belt||108||Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs||FCS||33||23||W|
|3||Miami Hurricanes||Atlantic Coast||36||Bethune-Cookman Wildcats||FCS||45||0||W|
|4||Southern Mississippi Eagles||Conference USA||112||Mississippi State Bulldogs||Southeastern||24||16||34||L|
|5||Illinois Fighting Illini||Big Ten||74||Kent State Golden Flashes||Mid-American||91||52||3||W|
|6||Wisconsin Badgers||Big Ten||25||Alabama Crimson Tide||Southeastern||2||17||35||L|
|7||Minnesota Golden Gophers||Big Ten||46||Texas Christian Horned Toads||Big 12||10||17||23||L|
|8||Northwestern Wildcats||Big Ten||58||Standford Cardinals||Pac-12||17||16||6||W|
|9||Purdue Boilermakers||Big Ten||78||Marshall Thundering Herd||Mid-American||41||31||41||L|
|10||Michigan State Spartans||Big Ten||8||Western Michigan Broncos||Mid-American||65||37||24||W|
|11||Rutgers Scarlet Knights||Big Ten||83||Norfolk State Spartans||FCS||63||13||W|
|13||Iowa Hawkeyes||Big Ten||57||Illinois State Redbirds||FCS||31||14||W|
|B1G||Ohio State Buckeyes||Big Ten||1||Virginia Polytechnic Hokies||Atlantic Coast||26||42||24||W|
|B1G||Michigan Wolverines||Big Ten||34||Utah Utes||Pac-12||33||17||24||L|
|B1G||Indiana Hoosiers||Big Ten||84||Southern Illinois Salukis||FCS||48||47||W|
|B1G||Maryland Terrapins||Big Ten||69||Richmond Spiders||FCS||50||21||W|
|B1G||Penn State Nittany Lions||Big Ten||35||Temple Owls||Mid-American||52||10||27||L|
- Overall, Nebraska's opponents scored 8 wins to 4 losses. Against FBS level programs, they went 4-4. Against Power 5 programs, Nebraska's opponents went 2-3.
- In games versus Top 50 F/+ opponents, Nebraska's opponents went 2-4. In games versus Top 25 F/+ opponents, Nebraska's opponents went 1-3.
- Nebraska's opponents outscored their competition 391 points to 244 points. In top 50 battles, Nebraska's opponents were outscored 130-167. In top 25 battles, the opponents were outscored 66-98.
- 8 of Nebraska's opponents played at home, going 6-2 and outscoring their opponents 273-116. 3 opponents went on the road, going 2-1 and outscoring their opponents 101-93. Wisconsin, the sole neutral site participant, lost to the Alabama Crimson Tide 31-41.
- The Big Ten Conference went 8-6 this weekend, outscoring their opponents 459-335. Against FBS programs, the conference dropped a stinker, going 4-6. Against Power 5 programs, the Big Ten went 2-3. (BYU is not recognized by all Power 5 programs as a P5 program.)
- Losses came as follows: 2 to the MAC, 1 to an independent, 1 to the Big 12, 1 to Pac-12, and 1 to the SEC.
- The Big Ten's best win of the weekend came from the Northwestern Wildcats, taking down #17 Stanford. LEGENDS.
- The Big Ten's worst loss was probably #35 Penn State to #52 Temple. Shocking, I tell you, shocking.
- The cowards out of Bloomington almost lost to a FCS program.
Looking ahead to Week 2:
Clearly Nebraska did not have the result it wanted last weekend. Can the Cornhuskers bounce back against a feisty yet still less talented South Alabama squad this Saturday? To avoid Ohio State's inevitable secession from a lackluster conference, let's hope the Big Ten as a whole bounces back as well. With a slate full of cupcakes, it's possible, but then again, Penn State is playing another MAC team so who knows.
All rankings based on F/+ Rankings released today, September 7th 2015. (This week's rankings.)
|1||Brigham Young Cougars||Independent||34||1-0||Boise State Broncos||Mountain West||1-0||17|
|2||South Alabama Jaguars||Sun Belt||110||1-0||Nebraska Cornhuskers||Big Ten||0-1||30|
|3||Miami Hurricanes||Atlantic Coast||41||1-0||Florida Atlantic Owls||Conference USA||0-1||100|
|4||Southern Mississippi Eagles||Conference USA||114||0-1||Austin Peay Governors||FCS|
|5||Illinois Fighting Illini||Big Ten||77||1-0||Western Illinois Leathernecks||FCS|
|6||Wisconsin Badgers||Big Ten||24||0-1||Miami (Ohio) RedHawks||Mid-American||1-0||121|
|7||Minnesota Golden Gophers||Big Ten||46||0-1||Colorado State Rams||Mountain West||1-0||64|
|8||Northwestern Wildcats||Big Ten||54||1-0||Eastern Illinois||FCS|
|9||Purdue Boilermakers||Big Ten||83||0-1||Indiana State Sycamores||FCS|
|10||Michigan State Spartans||Big Ten||6||1-0||Oregon Ducks||Pac-12||1-0||3|
|11||Rutgers Scarlet Knights||Big Ten||88||1-0||Washington State Cougars||Pac-12||0-1||70|
|13||Iowa Hawkeyes||Big Ten||57||1-0||Iowa State Cyclones||Big 12||1-0||87|
|B1G||Ohio State Buckeyes||Big Ten||1||1-0||Hawaii Rainbow Warriors||Mountain West||1-0||105|
|B1G||Michigan Wolverines||Big Ten||36||0-1||Oregon State Beavers||Pac-12||1-0||81|
|B1G||Indiana Hoosiers||Big Ten||86||1-0||Florida International Golden Panthers||Conference USA||1-0||99|
|B1G||Maryland Terrapins||Big Ten||75||1-0||Bowling Green Falcons||Mid-American||0-1||82|
|B1G||Penn State Nittany Lions||Big Ten||37||0-1||Buffalo Bulls||Mid-American||1-0||111|
FBS Week 1 Opponents (Nebraska schedule): 8 (Power 5: 5)
FBS Week 2 Opponents (Nebraska schedule): 8 (Power 5: 4)
Nebraska's opponents average F/+ rank in week 1: 60.4
Matchup average F/+ rank in week 1: 35
Nebraska's opponents average F/+ rank in week 2: 61.2
Matchup average F/+ rank in week 2: 61.5
Nebraska's opponents, as a whole, face a challenge equal to their ability this week.
FBS Week 2 Opponents (Big Ten): 10 (Power 5: 5)
FBS Week 2 Opponents (Big Ten): 11 (Power 5: 4)
The Big Ten's average F/+ rank in week 1: 48.7
Matchup average F/+ rank in week 1: 37.7
The Big Ten's average F/+ rank in week 2: 50
Matchup average F/+ rank in week 2: 82.3
The average level of difficulty for the conference lowers considerably compared to last weekend.
What do you think? How will Nebraska's opponents fare this weekend? Will the Big Ten recover with a healthy helping of cupcakes? Whose seat will be hotter on Sunday, Kirk Ferentz' or Paul Rhoads?