The Nebraska Cornhuskers went at it for the first time officially in the 2015 season with a 2-ish hour practice in and around the fields at the Hawks Championship Center.
What a crowd, huh?
Here are some observations from that practice that I found on twitter:
- What did the Offense look like? Depends on who you asked.
1st takeaway from #Huskers practice, people are going to be shocked at how good this offense looks. Will hit the ground running.— Mike Welch (@RealMikeWelch) August 7, 2015
I got two notes from the first #Huskers practice: 1) Jalin Barnett is on the "all get off the bus team" 2) have patience w the offense.— Greg Smith (@GregSmithSports) August 7, 2015
- Kevin Williams was a little... pissed off?
Interesting bit from DT Kevin Williams after #Huskers practice. Says "I am not a backup" three times, doesn't want to be called such. Exits.— Rich Kaipust (@RKaipustOWH) August 7, 2015
Kevin Williams walks in to gaggle of media. States he is not a backup & is tired of being reported as such. Will not talk to media. #Huskers— John Gaskins (@937JohnGaskins) August 7, 2015
- One of the Linebacking pieces of the puzzle fit early on.
Really a lot of good things to take away from tonight for #Huskers. Energy was very high. Tommy, Bush/Darlington sharp. M. Newby starting LB— Jake Sorensen (@937JakeSorensen) August 7, 2015
- The offense wasn't taken over by Jordan Stevenson, and some folks were doing things that was promised from back in Spring ball.
Didn't see it a ton as practice went on, but #Huskers offense ran lots of WR sweeps early on tonight. And yes--Pierson-El looked great on it— Jake Sorensen (@937JakeSorensen) August 7, 2015
- A lot of eyes were on Tommy Armstrong Jr., and even thought it was no pads, playing against air, folks were showing some love. Then again, it is the first practice.
Most of passes Tommy didn't complete were receivers' fault. I tweet that confidently b/c rec's yelled nasty words to themselves. #Huskers— John Gaskins (@937JohnGaskins) August 7, 2015
Tommy Armstrong looked damn good tonight, mostly. Plenty of zip on intermediate & cannon w accuracy on most deep balls. #Huskers— John Gaskins (@937JohnGaskins) August 7, 2015
I thought Tommy Armstrong had a hell of a practice. Faded late, but it was the best I've seen him. #Huskers— Lanny Holstein (@937Lanny) August 7, 2015
- I saw it mentioned on twitter, but Vincent Valentine missed tonight's practice with a knee contusion. Shouldn't be out long, per Mike Riley.
What did Mike Riley say of the workout?
"I was pleased in general that after just one spring we were able to come out here and get into some formations and run some plays, Some of it looked like football, and that is pretty good. That is a function of them learning some stuff in the spring and having some carryover."
Practice #1 is out of the way. 30 days to go.