This weekend's baseball series at Iowa... I am hesitant to say that Nebraska is teetering on the edge of disaster, but were they to be swept they'd probably drop out of the top eight which is the cutoff point for the Big Ten baseball tournament.
On the other hand, if they go to Iowa hungry and angry about last weekend's series loss to Ohio State and win the series OR get a sweep, then they might be back into "hosting a NCAA regional" talk next week.
SO MUCH DRAMA.
Nebraska has played only one road conference series so far this season; the one in which they were swept by Maryland. Iowa has won five-straight Big Ten series dating back to last season -- the longest stretch for the program since 1990. The Hawkeyes have never won six-straight Big Ten series.
This weekend's schedule and standings are below. Note how many top teams are playing lower level teams although all of the leaders are on the road (except Iowa).
Probable Starters - note the time change on the Friday game.
Friday, April 24 (4:05 p.m.) - RHP Sinclair (5-5) vs. RHP Peyton (4-3)
Chase Sinclair has a 3.30 ERA in 10 starts this season. In 62.2 innings pitched, he leads the team in strike outs with 46.
Tyler Peyton has a 2.83 ERA in 10 starts. In 57.1 innings pitched, he also leads the Hawkeyes with 46 strike outs. Peyton leads the team in batting average, too, with a .363 average.
Saturday, April 25 (3:05 p.m.) - LHP Kubat (4-2) vs. RHP Hickman (6-1)
Kyle Kubat's ERA stands at 2.19 in 10 starts. He has pitched 65.2 innings, has 42 strike outs and 10 walks.
Blake Hickman has a 2.56 ERA with 10 starts. He has 36 strike outs against 14 walks.
Sunday, April 26 (1:05 p.m.) - RHP Burkamper (4-1) vs. RHP Mathews (3-1)
In 44.2 innings pitched and 9 starts, Calvin Mathews has a 2.01 ERA. He has given up 18 walks against 26 strike outs.
Derek Burkamper has 9 starts with a 3.65 ERA. He has 29 strikeouts, but has given up a team high 14 walks.
- The latest NCAA RPI report released on Wednesday afternoon had six Big Ten teams in the top 50, including Ohio State (14), Nebraska (18), Illinois (21), Maryland (30), Iowa (35) and Michigan State (38)
- D1Baseball.com’s latest NCAA Field projections on Wednesday had five Big Ten teams in the postseason, including Illinois and Iowa as hosts, however, the Hawkeyes are projected as the No. 2 seed at the Iowa City Regional, and UC Santa Barbara as the top seed. D1Baseball also had the Huskers a No. 3 seed in the Springfield Regional (Missouri State), while Ohio State was a projected No. 2 seed at one Los Angeles Regional (UCLA) and Maryland as a No. 2 seed at the other Los Angeles Regional (USC).
Big Ten Baseball Schedule
All Times Eastern.
Friday, April 24
- Ohio State at Northwestern - 3 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Maryland at Purdue - 5:30 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Michigan State at Indiana - 6:05 p.m.
- Illinois at Penn State - 6:30 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Nebraska at Iowa - 5:05 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Michigan at Minnesota - 7:35 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Rutgers at Seton Hall - 6 p.m.
Saturday, April 25
- Ohio State at Northwestern - 2 p.m.
- Illinois at Penn State - 2 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Maryland at Purdue - 2 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Michigan State at Indiana - 2:05 p.m.
- Nebraska at Iowa - 4 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Michigan at Minnesota - 7:05 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Seton Hall at Rutgers - 1 p.m.
Sunday, April 26
- Illinois at Penn State - 10 a.m. (BTN)
- Maryland at Purdue - 1 p.m.
- Michigan at Minnesota - 1:05 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Michigan State at Indiana - 1:05 p.m.
- Ohio State at Northwestern - 2 p.m. (BTN Plus)
- Nebraska at Iowa - 2 p.m.
- Seton Hall vs. Rutgers (Bridgewater, N.J.) - 3 p.m.
Hudl, the Lincoln company that makes sports video viewing and editing software for high school, college and professional teams, announced earlier this month it expects more growth from what is believed to be the largest private investment ever made in a Nebraska technology company.
I don't follow recruiting, but this is pretty cool.
HAWKEYES WALK OFF MID-WEEK (D1) SCHNEID; PREPARE FOR NEBRASKA - Black Heart Gold Pants
In conference, the Huskers are haunted by two extra-inning losses at home to Ohio State, and being swept at Maryland.
Here's the rundown on Mike Riley's first call-in show on Thursday night. You bet someone asked about the fullbacks. Because, Nebraska.
THE PROCESS IS STILL ALIVE!!!!
Cockrell undergoes shoulder surgery
Nebraska senior defensive back Byerson Cockrell underwent surgery on his shoulder because of an injury suffered during the Red-White game earlier this month, Nebraska head coach Mike Riley said.
Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney the latest coaches in the South to oppose this recruiting tactic - SBNation.com
Big Ten coaches have been steadily creeping into SEC territory with a practice SEC schools aren't allowed to use.
This is a very nicely written story with characters you're supposed to care about but in the end really says something very close to nothing.
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you have time, please read this story and tell me if you learned anything.
When the Chargers play, simulated lightning bolts would swirl behind glass encasing the tower and, if the team were to score a touchdown, a bolt would shoot out of the top. For Raiders games, a flame would burn in the cauldron in honor of legendary team owner Al Davis.
I believe this is... $1.7B? Lightning bolts and a flame for Al Davis. Seems a bit much.
Federal judge approves potential $1 billion plan to resolve NFL concussion lawsuits - SBNation.com
A federal judged has finally approved a settlement to compensate former NFL players who are suffering from neurological disorders as a result of playing professional football.