With all the hullabaloo of National Signing Day come and gone, the Nebraska Cornhuskers now have a solid, actual Scholarship number right now.
What is that number? Well, let us take a look. A reminder of the guidelines:
- Redshirts and true year players are combined.
- Medical Exemptions are included due to the need to have the spot. (hence, you'll see Jamal Turner)
- Players are placed in where the majority thinks they will play (media, etc)
Well, couple of interesting things here...
- The sheer number of Freshmen is absurd. Redshirting or true, 34% of your team is a freshman. Over half of them are in their first 2 years of eligibility.
- You can see what Banker and such were looking at in Linebacker numbers. More Frosh at LB than the other 3 classes combined. Same thing with Defensive End and Offensive Guard. The youth at OG is interesting, Nebraska is going to have to hope that there are about 3 players in that group that can be in the rotation.
I guess we should talk about the biggest thing about this whole list... THERE ARE 88 SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS.
For those wondering what the big deal is, two things. 1) The NCAA limit is 85 and 2) this means 3 folks are not making it to next season.
Now, that's up for discussion, but I have to think that Sam Cotton is going to leave due to his Dad & Brother heading out to UNLV to coach. I have no insider info on that, but it's a gut feeling and seems to make the most sense. The second person that may not be there is Jamal Turner. I'm betting that Jamal is a prime candidate for a Medical Redshirt after last season. However, if that doesn't come down, it takes the number down one.
The third person to leave... is anyone's guess. Mention it in the comments.