The people of Corn Nation spoke and we listened! Here's what they had to say about 1620 The Zone's Damon Benning.
- Industry Expert - many felt his knowledge of the intricacies of football was exceptional.
- Substance Over Style - see comment from FeitCanWrite below.
- On Par With National Media - community member Viking Husker puts Benning in the category of "Charles Davis, Tom Jackson, and Mike Mayock."
Benning is smart, quick, and gives thoughtful opinions to topics from Husker football to girls high school hoops. There's a favorite Bob Costas line from the 1995 Orange Bowl (in regards to T.O.) that can be updated to fit Benning: "he studiously avoids hot takes in an age all too devoted to style over substance."
One of the few voices from the Glory Days who is able to critique and criticize the program and players without constantly playing the "back in my day" card.
In short, there are few (if any) on-air talents in the Nebraska market that I'd rather listen to.
- Name Dropper - see comment from skerzfan95 below.
- Filter - some of you would appreciate if Benning would divulge some of the insider information he is privy to.
Could be fantastic, but can't get out of his own way. I wish he could just tell a story without "I talked to so-and-so" or even better, "So-and-so reached out to me". I agree, his knowledge and experiences are unmatched in this market. But I can't listen. I want to listen. But I can't listen.
Benning scored an average of 4.04 in the ratings poll (248 votes), which means the community thinks his work is exceptional. In fact, Benning's score is the highest the series has seen so far.
Thanks for all your feedback and hopefully we receive even more comments to discuss in future editions of the Media Microscope. Who would you like to see reviewed next? Should we feature somebody in the national media?
Previous Media Microscope Results: