Mississippi Valley State
Date: Saturday, November 14th
Location: Itta Bena, MS (Itta Bena is Choctaw for 'little valley')
Mascot: Delta Devils (mascot is interesting)
Coach: Andre Payne (2nd year)
2014-15 Record: 6-26 (5-13 conference)
The second game of the season brings the Delta Devils to Lincoln. While the opponent is a step up to Division I from the Division II Northern State, it is probably step down in terms of quality. Mississippi Valley State is coming off a rough 6-26 record with second year head coach Andre Payne. Last year was quite a journey with only one non conference win and ending the year 8th in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
One thing that might hurt the Delta Devils team from improving in the upcoming season is the road slate. It's not that the teams are overly tough but that they will be on the road for 14 straight games in November and December. Starting with Nebraska on November 14th and not ending until they play Arkansas Pine Bluff on January 4th.
Other than that, there really isn't much to say on this team right now.
Jerry Rice played there in college. Does that count?
Any bugs that were brought up against Northern State should be worked out here before Gavitt Tipoff which we will be playing perennial Big East power, Villanova.
Yes, you get to read about Villanova next. The team that won the Big East last year. That article should hopefully be a little bit longer.
More From Corn Nation
- Abysmal 3-point shooting by Illinois not enough for Husker upset, UNL falls 72-56
- Nebrasketball: Illinois Fighting Illini Game Thread
- Corn Flakes: Family Super Bowl Match Up
- Monday Night Therapy: Ed Foley, Terrance “Pot Roast” Knighton, Officiating, And How We’ve All Been In A Cult
- Nebrasketball: Illinois Fighting Illini Preview
- Monday Flakes: Super Bowl Matchup, Polar Plunge, and Bear Selfies