Your Nebraska Cornhuskers donned the pads on Wednesday afternoon and went after it for about 2 hours in the Hawks Championship Center near Memorial Stadium.
Was there news? YOU BETCHA.
- First and foremost, Bo Pelini addressed the transfer of DT Aaron Curry out of the program last weekend. Said Pelini:
"He didn't like the fact he was the 5th Defensive Tackle. There you go"
Was it that easy? I bet it was actually.
- Speaking of Defensive Line depth, Kevin Williams is "day to day" with a ankle issue. Williams, who has fought knee injuries in consecutive years, went down on Monday and it was feared for the worse. He was in a boot, but it's simply precautionary with what he's been through.
- Josh Mitchell and Corey Cooper didn't practice, but that was more along the lines of them getting a day off to see others get some reps.
- The list of players who sat out today's practice consists of Greg Hart, Brandon Reilly, Ryne Reeves, Wiliams, Mitchell, Cooper, Greg Hart, Jared Blum and Sam Burtch.
- Long Snapper Gabe Miller also sat out, and Pelini stated that he didn't think Miller would be ready to go by the season opener vs. Florida Atlantic.
- One of the bigger things to come out of practice today is that True Freshman OG DJ Foster flipped over to Defensive Tackle today, with Pelini citing building depth on that side of the ball. Personally, I don't get it with guys like Peyton Newell and Mick Stoltenberg on that side of the ball, but numbers wise it could make sense. There is also the thought of what happened to Baker Steinkuhler, where he flipped over from Offense to Defense and never came back. Time will tell on this one.
- The Punt Returners were Ameer Abdullah, Jordan Westerkamp, and Demornay Pierson-El. Pelini spent a good amount of time on Special Teams today reportedly.
- Zack Hannon worked with the 2's today at Left Guard, behind where Jake Cotton would be.
The Huskers report back to the practice field on Thursday afternoon.