Alrighty, first and foremost, the Big Ten Network came to Lincoln today to visit your Nebraska Cornhuskers during their afternoon practice. The Huskers, who went for two hours in full pads today in and around the Hawks Championship Center, are getting their last licks of Fall Camp in before preparations for the opening of the 125th season of Nebraska Football on August 30th vs. the Florida Atlantic Owls.
First off, lets get to what the Huskers told the guys from the Big Ten Network (with some practice footage):
Well, there are all your videos. NOW THE ROUGH PART.
- The Huskers, who just literally announced that DT Aaron Curry was transferring out of the program (originally Oklahoma, but now TCU is the fave for his services), had another potentially bad injury today as DT Kevin Williams, who has fought TWO knee injuries the past two seasons, went down. Word is that he was carted off, however his status is unknown for now.
- Returning to the practice field was Terrell Newby and Brandon Reilly, as well as Jake & Sam Cotton. Those that were held out of practice were OT Zack Sterup, TE's Jared Blum and Greg Hart, and FB Andy Janovich.
- No news on LS Gabe Miller, who has not practiced at all this Fall. Josh Faulkenberry and Nathan Gerry have been sharing the duties this whole camp.
- Matt Finnin worked a lot with the 1's at Right Tackle, while Givens Price worked more with the 2's.
- The Kicking competition, which is a battle between Mauro Bondi and Drew Brown, kept going. Bondi reportedly hit bomb from 57 yards during practice.
- Tommy Armstrong has become more crisp and has taken control of the offense, per Tim Beck....
"He seemed to really step his game up, much more crisp in the passing game, much more decisive in the running game, read and option games. I saw a little extra gear in him (Armstrong), separating himself a little bit."
As far as the backup position, Johnny Stanton did work with the 2's a bit today, but nothing was said that meant there's been a change, per Beck:
"We are still evaluating that right now. I am really still evaluating all of them at this point," he said. "Tommy has been doing some really good things, Ryker and Johnny both had a good day today. They all possess some things that make them pretty good players."
Nebraska will return to the practice field on Tuesday afternoon. The next media availability will be after Wednesday's workout.