Former Nebraska defensive end Avery Moss was fined $500 in Lancaster County Court over a charge of public indeceny resulting from a December 2012 incident in a campus convenience store where Moss exposed his genitals to a student worker. Moss entered a plea of no contest earlier this year to the indecency charge, and as a result, two other charges (for disturbing the peace and failure to appear) were dismissed.
That apparently ends Moss' legal issues at this point. But Moss remains banned from the Lincoln campus due to a UNL administration decision in December. Moss thought he was allowed to return to campus dorms after the fall semester ended, not realizing that he was banned from campus dorms until January. The ban was then extended to the entire campus, and extended for four years. Moss can appeal this decision again later this year in December.
In January, Moss told the Omaha World Herald's Sam McKewon that he wanted to return to Nebraska, but that he was keeping his options open. Today, Moss' attorney told Lori Pilger of the Lincoln Journal-Star that the former Husker was back in Lincoln and working full time at a Sid Dillon automobile dealership.
Avery Moss said for now he's working FT at Sid Dillon; atty says he's not eligible to request reinstatement at UNL until Dec 2014. #Huskers— Lori Pilger (@LJSpilger) April 4, 2014
First take on this is that Moss is still hoping to return to the Huskers next spring, and that by returning to Lincoln, he can show the UNL administration that he's serious about resolving their concerns about him. Moss probably didn't have much to lose by coming back to Lincoln this spring.
If he returns to Lincoln in the fall, that's likely a more serious sign that he wants to return to the Nebraska football team rather than begin the transfer process to another school. Moss redshirted in 2012-13, and he'll lose the 2014-15 season to this suspension. If he's allowed to return to Lincoln in 2015, he'll be a junior. It's unclear whether it matters whether he transfers in the fall or next spring in terms of his eligibility for the 2015 season. Would his ineligibility to play in 2014 satisfy the NCAA transfer policy should he decide to transfer in 2015?