Tuesday. Four days to a Husker kickoff, and two days to College Football, period.
Big day at Corn Nation on Monday, where Mike made some folks mad with his Iowa preview, along with our new Volleyball writer Ty Peteranetz making his debut with his Red/White scrimmage piece. In the evening, we brought you a statement about Husker QB verbal Zack Darlington. Finally, don't forget that Jon wants to know what you want to play for in the Corn Nation Football Pool.
Bo Pelini had his first presser of the year on Monday in North Stadium. The notes from the presser are as follows:
- Nebraska is a work in progress, but Bo likes the direction the team went under during Fall Camp
- Pelini really likes that, aside from the Kevin Williams injury, that Nebraska is relatively healthy heading into the game vs Wyoming. Furthermore, he feels a little more comfortable starting his 6th full season as HC.
- Pelini is impressed with Wyoming QB Brett Smith, as he remembers him being elusive from the 2011 meeting in Laramie. Pelini also expects a more spread type of gameplan from Wyoming HC Dave Christensen, similar to what Nebraska dealt with when Christensen was OC at Missouri.
- Pelini also expects more 3 man fronts from Wyoming's defensive front. Pelini fully expects to be surprised on both sides of the ball by the Cowboys on Saturday.
- Pelini doesn't really know his rotations on D for Saturday, but notes that going against Tim Beck's offense on a daily basis has helped the D be ready for basically anything at any time. Pelini also sounds comfortable about the defensive depth.
- When asked specifically about players that haven't seen game time for Nebraska before. Bo stated that you should see Terrell Newby, Maliek Collins, Randy Gregory, Kevin Maurice, Nate Gerry, and Cethan Carter off the top of his head. You may see even more than that.
- When asked about the opinion of his defensive unit last year, Bo dismissed the question and said he's focused on this year's team.
- Bo was asked about Blackshirts. He hasn't given it much thought up to now, but he will be less forgiving on giving them out, as far as number of Blackshirts are concerned.
- Pelini did say he has a lot of options at Defensive Tackle, but rotations and substitutions will be changed on a weekly basis.
- When asked about the East Stadium expansion, Bo stated that he hoped that would help with sound and such, but he will also be experiencing it for the first time on Saturday.
- When asked about newcomers going from practicing to game play, Bo stated that he would be alright with mistakes "but it better be done at 100 miles an hour". Pelini stated that he and the staff have tried to make it very simple for players to take what they've learned on the practice field to the big stage. "Football is Football".
- Kicker is an ongoing situation, and will be evaluated on a game by game basis.
- Bo stated that the offense is doing a good job with ball security. Furthermore, he went into how the defense has been working on getting turnovers during tackling drills, calling it "working the football".
- QB Taylor Martinez may not have full reign on Saturday, considering the staff is wondering what they'll see. However, Bo did talk about how Taylor has grown every season in Lincoln, and how he has faced adversity on and off the field during his time leading Nebraska on offense.
- Pelini believes the Offensive Line is very deep, and is very comfortable with the two deep across the board.
- It sounds like Sam Cotton is out for Wyoming, but Jake Long is good to go at Tight End.
- When asked about kids that have stood out lately, he brought up the names of Josh Banderas, Courtney Love (who sounds like a redshirt candidate), Jared Afalava, and David Santos came about. It sounds like Bo really feels the Linebackers have gotten better.
- When asked about if he was using the last 2 games of the 2012 season as motivation, Pelini said "No. It’s a different time and a different place. I like to think that when you are in this profession and you do what we do, you’re always motivated. It’s different challenges, it’s a different football team and we’re motivated. I’ll put it that way."
- Finally, when asked about starting the first five games at home with such a young team, Bo said "I’m hoping we can get to 12 home games. I’m wanting to always sleep at home on Friday night. That’s the goal. If you guys can see if Shawn (Eichorst) can get the rules changed, we can play them all at home. I think the fans would like that, too."
Nice piece here at Hail Varsity about Kenny Bell and the 1000 yard threshold, that I still can't believe hasn't been broken EVER by a Husker receiver.
GOOD LORD FINALLY, RECRUITING TALK. At the OWH, Sam McKewon talked to Ross Els about visitors for the Wyoming game and how hard it is to get kids nailed down for games.($)
With the Wyoming game being one of only 2 games kicking off later than 2:30 locally in Lincoln, it is important that Nebraska use the holiday weekend and the late kickoff to get some prime kids in to see the new East Stadium addition, as well as the overall game day experience. 247 has listed only one visitor for the weekend , which is DE target Rohan Blackwood. Nebraska has only used 1 visit so far this year, which was for JUCO DT target Abu Lamin, who eventually verbaled to South Carolina.
The Wyoming Uniform for this week? Glad you asked.
Uniform of the week vs Nebraska! #uniformswag #ThinkWYO pic.twitter.com/BfmnFzDDSl— Wyoming Cowboy FB (@CowboysFootball) August 26, 2013
Rodger Sherman at the mothership gave us his B1G megapreview on Monday. It's a great piece and very fair to every team in the conference, not just Nebraska.
Freshman Neb Soccer forward Jaycie Johnson earned both B1G Offensive and Freshman player of the week for her effort in the first 2 games of the season for the Huskers
There is still no word on whether Jeremy Hill will sit for LSU against TCU on Saturday night for his legal troubles.
Today's birthdays? Mack Brown, Jim Thome, Eve Torres, and Darren McFadden.
Today is Just Because Day, as well as National Petroleum Day.
The music selection today? This will do.
Have a great Tuesday, folks.