Last night, Nebraska's newly renovated volleyball palace at the Devaney Center opened its doors to over eight thousand Nebraska fans as they watched this year's young but talented roster take on an alumni roster headlined by Olympians Jordan Larson and Nancy Metcalf. The Alumni White squad took the match 2-1 but it was a thrilling match, to say the least.
Before we get into the news and commentary from the match, however, let's take a look at the new Devaney Center:
New home for @Huskervball on opening night for #Huskers Red/White Match. pic.twitter.com/1vAgjxajjI— Nebraska Huskers (@Huskers) August 24, 2013
The Devaney Center transformed. Amazing! #GBR #HUSKERS pic.twitter.com/p67pgOS3Wr— Rose Suddarth (@RoseSuddarth) August 25, 2013
Welcome to the new Bob #Huskers @Huskers pic.twitter.com/phLsZfnEEG— Jon M (@Liquidretro) August 25, 2013
RT @BriellevdB: New Devaney look #volleyball #GBR pic.twitter.com/BzwP2t9mo4— UNL (@UNLincoln) August 25, 2013
Is this real life? The new Devaney is absolutely unreal, can't wait to see this place come #B1G time.. #GBR: pic.twitter.com/MMnhZOYsMm— Pat Radigan (@cornfedBOSSman) August 25, 2013
And what did Coach Cook think?
John Cook: "We feel like we're an NBA team in here." #Huskers— Ian Hest (@IanHest) August 25, 2013
And all this is made possible because of fan support. How much does Nebraska love volleyball?
That's for a Volleyball -scrimmage.- The Devaney Center is going to be ridiculous this year. RT @Huskervball: Attendance tonight was 8,243.— Andrew Weldon (@kungfusquirrel) August 25, 2013
By the way: the single game, non-tournament attendance record for Division 1 volleyball is 13,870, was set during the Nebraska-UCLA match-up on September 13th, 2009 at the Devaney Center. (If someone knows why Nebraska was playing at the Devaney rather than the Coliseum that night, I'd be very interested to know!)
The Alumni team is no joke. Up 15-9 in set 1. It's basically Nebraska volleyball's #UltimateTeam. All 99s.— Andrew (@HuskerPower66) August 25, 2013
I chuckled at this. The Alumni went on to win the set 25-19.
And one final impression that I think sums up everyone's experience at the Bob:
home from the scrimmage. Had a lot of fun in the renovated Devaney Center. It really is a volleyball palace now. They did it right.— Andrew (@HuskerPower66) August 25, 2013
Sounds like it. Guess we don't have to worry about moving from the Coliseum after all.
Important programming note:
@tamattes that Nov PSU matchup will be INSANE— Cari @ BSD (@NotCarlotta) August 25, 2013
Cari Greene and Bill DiFilippo of Black Shoe Diaries will be covering Penn State and to a lesser degree B1G volleyball this fall so we'll be checking in with them on occasion. Penn State (who apparently has never won in Lincoln) will travel to Nebraska on November 30th. I fully expect the Nebraska faithful to SMASH the attendance record that weekend.
- Huskers Battle Alumni in Devaney Center Debut (Huskers.com) The official recap with links to player and coach interviews as well as the Box Score.
- Renovated Devaney Welcomes Sellout Crowd; Injury Subdues Mood: (OWH, $) A promising start to the season for a squad depleted by high profile graduations. However, the injury to Kelsey Robinson is troublesome. (For those who don't know, myself included, Robinson transferred to Nebraska after three seasons at Tennessee.) Time will tell how serious the injury is.
Cook said last week he would be shocked if his current squad could take a game from the star-studded alumni, and the White team led throughout Game 1. But the Red team settled its nerves and rallied in Game 2 behind five kills from Broekhuis and four from Fien to even the match.
- Notes: Papio South Products Make Favorable Impression on Coach (OWH, $) Shout to the Aerni's who plan to be at the ticket office bright and early Tuesday morning for single game tickets.
"For those Nebraska kids, they grew up idolizing Nancy and Jordan. Those are their heroes. And they're playing against them in front of 8,000 in their first night as Huskers? Can you imagine if you got to play against Michael Jordan or Brett Favre? That's a big deal for them."
- Devaney Center was Special for Red-White Scrimmage: (LJS, $) Nebraska has to have the best facilities in the country for volleyball, hands down. I think it's safe to say that Nebraska volleyball deserves a facility like this.
John Cook's new office at the Devaney Sports Center has a glass door that he can open and step out onto a balcony that overlooks the arena.
I mean, that's just insane. I'm so proud of our school for doing this. So damn proud.
- Single Match Tickets On Sale August 27th.(Huskers.com) Let's pack the Bob!
- Another Haggerty will be a Husker.(LJS, $) Nebraska continues to rake in the talent. Molly is the third of the sisters, with Meghan (Sophomore) and Maddie (Class of 2014).
- Meet the Freshmen on the NU Volleyball Team (LJS, $) The future of Nebraska volleyball is bright.
Remember, Nebraska heads to St. Louis this weekend to take part in the Billiken Invitational.