For his performance in Friday's 9-2 victory over previously #1 Oregon State, Husker senior righthanded pitcher Christian DeLeon was named the Big Ten's pitcher of the week for the week of February 24, 2014.
- Threw seven innings against No. 1 Oregon State, allowing just four hits and one unearned run in the Huskers’ 9-2 victory
- Struck out five batters against just one walk, while hurling five 1-2-3 innings to earn the win
- Helped Nebraska to its first win over a No. 1 team since the Huskers defeated Texas in 2005
- Wins his first career Big Ten Pitcher of the Week honor
- Claims Nebraska first Big Ten Pitcher of the Week accolade
On Saturday, the Husker baseball team had to wait three hours for Utah to defeat Indiana 5-4 in 15 innings, pushing first pitch to 11:10 pm Central time. But it didn't take long for the Huskers to put Washington away, scoring five runs in the top of the first and six more in the second inning enroute to a 13-3 victory over the Huskies. Aaron Bummer pitched six innings, giving up seven hits and two runs to pick up the victory.
On Sunday, the Huskers lost 4-3 to Utah, giving up a couple of unearned runs in the game. Nebraska put the tying run on base in the sixth, eighth, and ninth inning, but couldn't plate that fourth run.
On the season, the Huskers are now 4-3 on the diamond, and travel this weekend to Charleston, SC to play a thee game series against The Citadel. The home opener against Kansas State is scheduled for next week, on Tuesday, March 4. That game might be in doubt, as the current forecast shows a high temperature of 22 and a 40% chance of snow.