We did it! Twenty recipes! - David McGee
With letters signed and sealed, we officially enter a dead period for football news. Sounds like a good time for a vacation, don't you think?
Let's start by congratulating the women's basketball team who secured win #7 for Nebraska in the All Sports NU Trophy campaign by beating Northwestern 55-50. The Nebraska women held off a second half comeback by the Wildcats with both Jordan Hooper and Lindsey Moore broke the 1500 career points mark in the victory. (And a round of applause to you all for stepping up and following the women in your own FanPost.)
Nebraska's first attempt to secure win #8 and the trophy comes in Tennis on the 9th and 10th. Nebraska must win both the Men's and Women's match ups.
Here is this weekend's Nebraska athletic events calendar:
|Fri, Feb 8 - 9||MGLF||Big Ten Match Play *||at Bradenton, Fla. (The Concession Golf Club)||7:00 a.m.|
|Fri, Feb 8||WTEN||Miami (ITA National Team Indoor Championships)||at Charlottesville, Va.||12:00 p.m.|
|Fri, Feb 8||SB||Illinois-Chicago (Hotel Encanto Invitational)||at Las Cruces, N.M.||1:30 p.m.|
|Fri, Feb 8||SB||New Mexico State (Hotel Encanto Invitational)||at Las Cruces, N.M.||4:00 p.m.|
|Fri, Feb 8||MTEN||Drake||Nebraska Tennis Center||6:00 p.m.|
|Sat, Feb 9||RFL||Army||NU Rifle Range||8:00 a.m.|
|Sat, Feb 9||T&F||Mark Colligan Memorial||Devaney Center Indoor Track||12:00 p.m.|
|Sat, Feb 9||SB||Illinois-Chicago (Hotel Encanto Invitational)||at Las Cruces, N.M.||1:30 p.m.|
|Sat, Feb 9||MBB||Penn State *||Devaney Center||8:00 p.m. ESPNU/WatchESPN|
|Sun, Feb 10 - 12||WGLF||Lady Puerto Rico Invitational||at Rio Mar, Puerto Rico||6:30 a.m.|
|Sun, Feb 10||MTEN||VCU||Nebraska Tennis Center||10:00 a.m.|
|Sun, Feb 10||SB||Illinois-Chicago (Hotel Encanto Invitational)||at Las Cruces, N.M.||10:30 a.m.|
|Sun, Feb 10||SB||New Mexico (Hotel Encanto Invitational)||at Las Cruces, N.M.||1:00 p.m.|
|Sun, Feb 10||WR||Iowa *||at Iowa City, Iowa||2:00 p.m. BTN.com|
|Sun, Feb 10||WGYM||Penn State (Pepsi Pack the House) *||Devaney Center||2:00 p.m. BTN (Tape Delay 2/12)|
|Sun, Feb 10||MTEN||Creighton||Nebraska Tennis Center||6:00 p.m.|
- The university has announced information about the volleyball wait-list. Take a look and help pack the Devaney for years to come!
- I learned two things from Pelini in this recruiting cycle. First, Pelini thinks a player's senior year (**) is far more important for assessing a player than is given credit. This is meant as an explanation for his late surges in recruiting. It is worth noting that while his class isn't a top ten haul, for the first time in five years, pundits aren't asking why certain players are being recruited.
- Second, Pelini has admitted that he made the mistake of not putting some of his young charges on to the field last season and now, as a matter of necessity, Nebraska will have to start talent over experience on the line (**). Expect to see a deep, talented and inexperienced roster this fall. It should be entertaining.
- Our dear friend Paul Dalen of HuskerMath offers up a visual tour of recruiting by Nebraska and the rest of the Big Ten. It's pretty fantastic!
- And while they didn't get as much attention, Nebraska did pick up a nice class of walk-ons this year. Why don't you take a look at those players and take a look at their tape? Maybe use the skills you learned in Brandon's Recruiting 101!
- Tim Beck, on Nebraska's approach to recruiting (h/t to Brian Christopherson, LJS):
"We don't have bells and whistles that flash. We don't run out through smoke. We don't change our uniform every week. We don't have any gimmicks. We're not used-car salesmen. And in today's world of recruiting, it's gimmicks. And kids listen to gimmicks. And we have to weed our way through those guys, because those guys typically don't last. They last about as long as a gimmick does until they find a new one. ... So we have to find the kids that are the true football players. And the guys that are the true football players look at all of it."
- Randy York thinks Stanton has something special to offer.
- Tad Strkyer over at HuskerMax is just really excited that Nebraska picked up some linemen.
- Speaking of recruiting, Husker Women's Soccer picked up seven new players for the 2013-2014 season. Welcome aboard!
- An indictment against the depth and talent of this year's senior class, only three Huskers picked up NFL Combine invites: Burkhead, Maher and Stafford.
- Apparently Jamrog forgot that Colorado isn't that good. Or maybe he felt scheduling Colorado would serve as a pretty good replacement for FCS teams in the future. But regardless, Nebraska will play Colorado four times between 2018 and 2024.
- Brian and Brandon are looking for your feedback on how you think our coverage of NSD went as well as input on how, if at all, you'd like to see us use text messaging in the future.
- In a surprising turn of events, Urban Meyer and Brady Hoke, as well as Pat Fitzgerald, spoke up in support of Pelini's personal dislike for the new recruiting rules (**). Of course, Urban Meyer followed this up by calling out his fellow coaches for their recruiting, so who knows what's going on.
- Oh, and about that bump, the real story of this year's recruitment, Jamrog and some unnamed spokesperson said they attempted to warn Pelini from the pole but were too late (**).
- Someone really needs to tell this player that Brady Hoke doesn't like Ohio State, no matter how much said player LOVES Ohio State.
- EDSBS tries to capture Mack Brown on a typical day and I honestly don't think this is too far off.
- Nick Florence, the QB who more than capably replaced Robert Griffin III at Baylor, has announced that he will not be pursuing a career in the NFL. Happy trails and good luck!
- Just because you walked into AND stayed at a terrible situation for a coach doesn't mean the NCAA should take pity on your program, Golden.
- The NCAA has its problems but it appears FIFA and international soccer make the NCAA look like a kid who accidentally drew outside the lines in his Sesame Street coloring book.
- A little girl has launched a Hello Kitty doll into space. What have you done today?
- Apparently a computer somewhere has discovered a new prime number. It's only a matter of time before a mathematician tackles Nebraska's turnover problems.
- Finally, we've got two more recipes, putting us at twenty! SD Husker returns to the smoker, giving us a recipe for "Smoked Cornish Game Hens". HuskerInLandOLakes honors his dear friend and shares a recipe for "Prosciutto Pie"
Alright, before we end for the week, I just wanted to let you all know that I will be taking some time off from CN. I'm taking a two week vacation to clear my head and recharge from the season. But don't worry - Jon and the rest of the staff will be helping to fill in the gaps.
When I return, we'll start cooking. Won't that be fun? Keep those recipes coming in though! We'll have to come up with some stretch goals.
So until I return, here's hoping Nebraska baseball starts off strong in California, Nebrasketball finishes off the season with a flourish (BEAT INDIANA) and other things go well.
GO BIG RED.
- Salt Creek and Stadium
PS - I am really going to be gone for two weeks. Please take care of yourselves and I'll see you soon.