OMAHA, NE - JULY 01: Michael Phelps competes in the championship final of the Men's 100 m Butterfly during Day Six of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Swimming Team Trials at CenturyLink Center on July 1, 2012 in Omaha, Nebraska. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
* This post has been edited to focus on Nebraska athletes. For general Olympic coverage, please head over to the Mothership. - SCS*
The Games opened last night with what can only be described as a very British welcoming. (Black Adder!)
Today marks the first day of gold medal competition with medals in shooting, cycling, archery, weightlifting and swimming being awarded.
Four of Nebraska's athletes begin their competition's today. Again, to follow along at home, here's a link to the Huskers.com Olympic Central.
Consider this your open thread to discuss today's events and last night's welcoming ceremony.
Here's today's schedule from the Mothership.
All times below are EDT. Events feature Nebraska athletes.
Saturday, July 28
5 a.m. - 6 p.m. (NBC)
- Women's Volleyball: USA vs. South Korea (3 p.m.) (Jordan Larson, USA)
7 a.m. - 5 p.m. (MSNBC)
- Women's Soccer: Canada vs. South Africa (9:30 a.m.) (Brittany Timko and Karina LeBlanc, Canada)
- Canada wins 3-0! LeBlanc as goalie, Timko with an assist.
8 p.m. - Midnight (NBC)
- Swimming: Gold Medal Finals (Men's 400m individual medley, 400m freestyle; women's 400m individual medley, 4x100m freestyle relay) (Therese Alshammar, Sweden, 4x 100 freestyle relay)