Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh was named to the 2009 Outland Trophy Watch List as announced today by the Football Writers Association of America. The Outland Trophy is awarded annually to the nation's top interior lineman - whether on offense or defense.
40 players were named to the list. The SEC placed 10 players on the list, while the Big 12 had nine. No other conference had more than four players.
The Outland Trophy, presented annually since 1946, is the third oldest award in major college football. The winner of the Outland Trophy, named after the late John Outland, an All-America lineman at Penn and Kansas at the turn of the century, will be announced on the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show on Dec. 10 in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
The Outland Trophy presentation banquet, sponsored by the Greater Omaha Sports Committee, will be held on Jan. 14 in Omaha, Neb.
Representing the Big 12 are:
- J.D. Walton, Center, Baylor
- Kurtis Gregory, Guard, Missouri
- Ndamukong Suh, Defensive Tackle, Nebraska
- Gerald McCoy, Defensive Tackle, Oklahoma
- Trent Williams, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma
- Russell Okung, Offensive Tackle, Oklahoma State
- Adam Ulatoski, Offensive Tackle, Texas
- Chris Hall, Center, Texas
- Brandon Carter, Guard, Texas Tech