Nebraska's Sarah Pavan was named the 2006-2007 Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year this morning, winning the Honda-Broderick Cup. She's Nebraska's first-ever athlete to win the Honda-Broderick Cup. Apparently they place stock in being a good student, too, and Pavan has a 4.0 GPA in biochemistry.
Regarding past winners, Pavan is in pretty good company:
- Misty May, '98-99, Long Beach State Volleyball, although probably better known for playing beach volleyball with Kerri Walsh while winning gold at the last Olympics.
- Rebecca Lobo, '94-95, UConn basketball star, known for big teeth and ESPN commentary on women's b-basketball
- Mia Hamm, '93-'94, North Carolina soccer (duh), known for many commercials and winning a World Cup
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee, '84-'85, California, track & field, who has won three gold, one silver and two bronze medals in the Olympics.
Her biography shows a huge amount of awards and she was just a Junior last season. There are two BIG questions yet about Sarah Pavan's Husker career:
- Will she win back-to-back NCAA volleyball titles?
- Will she surpass Merlene Ottey as the greatest Husker female athlete ever?
And yes there are pictures of Pavan playing beach volleyball with fellow Husker Jordan Larson.
Big Husker Woman Athlete Ever?
someone cares about women's athletics? (36 votes)
Merlene Ottey (38 votes)
Sarah Pavan (172 votes)
246 total votes